Szentendre sits on the western flank of the River Danube Bend just north of Budapest, an arty hotspot crammed with brightly painted Baroque houses, Orthodox churches and museums tucked among scores of galleries, craft shops and cafés. Largely constructed in the 18th century by Serbian refugees, the heart of the town is found in the cobbled, triangular Main Square (Széchenyi Tér or Fo Tér), which is dominated by an elaborate memorial cross erected by the Serbian Trade Association in thanks for being spared an epidemic in 1763. Today surrounded by delicate wrought-iron railings, the cross is inscribed with the dates of its renovations across three centuries. Also standing on the square is the Baroque Serbian Orthodox Church, constructed in 1752 and topped with a bronze spire, along with the pastel-hued town houses of Serbian merchants. In summer music and drama festivals take place in the square, in winter a bustling Christmas market takes pride of place. The souvenir stores in the labyrinthine winding lanes leading off the Main Square all have colorful displays spilling out into the streets; this is the spot to load up with pálinka (Hungarian fruit brandy) and hand-embroidered linen tablecloths.